This pregnancy has been totally different. Major nausea, major headaches, major backaches, major belly. This week, I added a new symptom to the list: panic attacks. Never have I had a panic attack before. I'm a naturally anxious person, but it's never been anything I couldn't handle. It usually only happened before something major, i.e. a job interview, etc. My family has a long history of anxiety disorders, and I thought I had dodged that bullet. It seems my new baby has other plans for me. Pounding heart to the point I felt like I was having a heart attack, shakiness, breathlessness, cold sweat, and then an overall feeling of anxiousness that causes me to not focus and not sleep. It's been fun.
Of course, my first line of defense was to hit the internet. I was surprised that my search turned up tons of info on how common panic attacks are for pregnant women, even when they've never had a problem with them before. Something with the crazy hormonal changes that are happening in a pregnant body can throw anxiety to new heights. Great.
I've spoken to my doctor, and since drugging myself is not an option, she recommended other methods. A lot of breathing techniques, keeping busy on activities that keep my mind off of the stressors, etc. Prenatal yoga was suggested to me, too. I've been thinking about yoga anyway since I've had such a problem with the back aches with this pregnancy anyway. There aren't any yoga places close to where we live, but I found a video my doctor recommended and ordered that.
So, for now, I just have to hope that stressors keep themselves at bay and allow me to have a relaxing pregnancy. Babies are pretty resilient little creatures, but a stressed and exhausted mama with a pounding heart can't be good.
Wednesday, October 14: Catching Up
1 week ago

1 comment:
We will talk over Christmas, but if not - we will talk on the phone. I had these, and still have them occasionally and have learned to control them. I know exactly how you feel, so I can talk to you about what has worked for me. So we will chat!
Love you,
Jen
Post a Comment