Saturday, December 4, 2010

Commiserating

Today I got a nice surprise phone call from my college roommate and maid of honor, Jen. She is due in less than two weeks with baby #2. She is someone I don't hear from or reach out to as often as I'd like, but when I do, I can tell that without a doubt, tell she is one of my few true girl friends. It was so refreshing to talk to someone who is in the same position as I am, albeit a lot closer in time frame.

Jen is a girl after my own heart - every feeling of uncertainty about caring for two babies I have had, she has, too. Every feeling of pregnancy-misery I feel, she does, too. We are both going through a momentous change for our families, and it is easy to feel a bit lost and/or scared. We both are wondering why the second time around, we feel way less prepared for the different phases of pregnancy/child-rearing. Maybe we've taken for granted the newness and feel we are old pros. We don't read the books anymore, get things ready in advance, and forget what we should and should not be eating. But, we'll surely figure it out! Hopefully, Jen gets it all figured out first and can give me her wisdom by the time my baby #2 arrives!

With Jen being a teacher, too, we also got to talking about today's students and how we are both feeling a bit disillusioned with our careers this year. I think (at least I'd like to think) every teacher enters the field thinking they are going to change the world and be inspirational. I tried to cling to that enthusiasm as long as I could, but in an age of no accountability for the students, persistent coddling that's brought them a sense of entitlement and disrespectful natures, it is getting more and more difficult to maintain a positive attitude. I hope I can get back to a point where I am hopeful and can see the difference I'm sure I make.

In the mean time, it is nice to have a conversation (both about mothering and our jobs) and be totally honest without fear of being judged. It's nice to know there is someone else out there with the same thoughts and concerns! It's nice to know that though I am not perfect, that's ok; no one is. Questions are normal. Frustrations are, too. And, Jen and I are either going to have a million dollar idea or open a Pottery Barn Kids so we can be independently wealthy and raise our babies stress-free ;-)

No comments: