Last night was AJ's winter concert. This was the first time I was going to attempt to take Ethan to a concert since he was a tiny baby. If you know my son, you know that sitting and being quiet are two concepts that are unfamiliar to him...
Building a puzzle (thanks, Orlando's!) with Pap

AJ's parents and grandparents came up for the concert. We had a nice dinner first where GiGi ate like a big girl :-) Ethan got all hopped up on milkshake, so I was expecting the worst at the concert.
Her burger was topped with onion rings!
On the way there, we passed a ton of houses that are decorated for Christmas. Ethan loved it! Every house with even one strand of lights got a comment. "Oh, look at that one!" or "I see Christmas!" or "Oh, they have many lights!" It was pretty cute. Then he, along with AJ's mother, started singing "Jingle Bells" over. and over. and over. badly.
We finally got there and got good seats. AJ's parents took Ethan right in the front row, which ended up being great for him. He loved being so close to the kids, and when AJ came on stage, he yelled "There's Daddy!" AJ loved having him there - he frequently turned to say "hi" to Ethan and see his reaction.

He sat contently, as long as the kids were singing. He also liked pointing out the Christmas lights that were burnt out. "Daddy fix it," he said. He did spend some time on the floor, either sitting or laying down, listening. He got a bit sleepy, but was happy to be held and rocked while listening.
A short video of my favorite song of the concert!
At the end of the concert, he was getting a bit punchy. AJ was talking, and Ethan started yelling "Daddy" as loud as he could. Then, it turned to yelling "AJ." It was hilarious, though a bit embarrassing. :-)
Ethan grooving to the music
One final note (get it?) about the concert: on AJ's program, he always writes a thank you section. He starts by thanking administrators and staff members, then the parents, then the kids, then me and Ethan. This year, he added "and the little one on the way." He, up until this point, had not told anyone about the baby. Keep in mind that when I was pregnant with Ethan, he didn't tell anyone the entire time; they found out about my pregnancy when he texted everyone a picture of me holding Ethan in the hospital. So, I was excited he wanted to share the news. Everyone was all excited and surprised, so it added some extra fun to the event.
***********
I went to my doctor appointment this afternoon. When I first scheduled it, I panicked because AJ's concert was originally supposed to be today. I called and tried to reschedule my appointment before I knew the concert date had changed, but there weren't great appointment times available. So, I told the nurse I would see what I could do and I'd call back. I just assumed that I didn't need to call back when I found out about the concert. My mistake (well, not really, since I never officially cancelled anything...). Anyway, I called today to double-check my appointment time and the nurse informed me she had no appointment scheduled for me since I cancelled it. Uh, NO! I explained the situation and was told the only time they could see me with that doctor would be tomorrow at 1. Uh, NO! She got snippy, told me to hold on and came back to tell me they could fit me in at 3. Great, but I have to be at work until 3. She, again snippily, told me that that was all she could do for me. After getting an attitude lesson from me, I hung up. Luckily, my principal kindly let me leave early to get there.
So, the news: I have gained 1 pound since meeting with the nurse practitioner. Not bad considering I eat two dinners a day :-) The baby's heartbeat was great - he said between 158 - 161. My blood pressure was great, as always. No worries at all. It was a VERY fast appointment - I was seriously in and out in about 5 minutes. I left feeling odd, though. I miss my old doctors I used with Ethan - I had been going to them for about 6 years before I got pregnant, so it was just more warm and friendly. The doc checked my belly, checked the heartbeat, asked if I had questions, then sent me on my way. I just felt like there should have been more. But, again, I feel so out of it this pregnancy, so maybe it's me. I go back in a month with a different doctor in the practice. I'll see them all, choose my favorite, and stick with that one throughout the whole pregnancy. Here's hoping a find a winner!

1 comment:
E. AND Gigi are adorable, I'm so glad that your appointment went well (one heck of a heart rate on Baby Girl Kovall, huh?!), AJ's concert and "thank-yous" were awesome, and I agree with you on the favorite song. It's one of my all-time faves; it's awesome that AJ included it in the concert!
Post a Comment