Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spring Fever...

Spring is right around the corner. While that means GREAT weather is on its way, it also brings bad news for teachers. Kids sense the nice weather and start acting like fools. It's starting already. I have had more teenage drama in the past week than I've had all year! From teenage pregnancy, kids getting hauled to the psych ward, hissy fits by 16-year-old boys, and detention that turned into an hour-long therapy session, I have had my fill! Thank goodness we have lots of break time in April! On the plus side, my sophomores are reading The Secret Life of Bees and, for the most part, are actually reading it and enjoying it! I'm trying something new - every day that there is reading due, the kids have to come in with 5 questions they want to ask about what they've read. We move the desks in a circle and have a big discussion. I've been really impressed with the thoughtful questions they ask :-) They are easily amused, too - they think it is so much better to sit in a circle. Weirdos. My juniors are reading my all-time favorite, Huck Finn. What a great story! They are doing a great job. One of my girls said today that she can really identify with Huck because he's just trying to figure himself out and see where he fits. As an English teacher, that is a moment you DREAM of happening! See, I started with the negative and ended with the positive. That's how I am making it until June :-)

Some recap:
Poor baby has had a rough couple of days. His top two teeth are thisclose to coming through and Ethan is not handling it well! He is just whiny and doesn't want to eat. He just can't figure out what he wants to do. We're doing a pretty good job distracting him, but it's exhausting! Keep your fingers crossed that we wake up tomorrow with a new smile :-)

Friday, we ate at Red Robin. Ethan LOVES it there because he gets a balloon. He entertained himself the whole time, laughing loudly and hysterically. Thank goodness it is family friendly! Everyone kept stopping by our table to watch him. We also gave him some of our chicken and the inside of french fries. He was a very happy boy!

Saturday, AJ had rehearsal ALL day. His parents were kind enough to come up - Papa went to school and built sets all day while Grammy came here and handled crazy baby for me. I cleaned and shopped! We went to school to visit the boys for lunch. The parents do wonderful lunches for the kids on their long days - very nice! AJ had his kids doing push-ups when they missed lines, plus jogging the whole time. What a dictator! But, things are looking good - it's only 3 weeks away! After practice, Grammy and I went to buy Ethan's Easter outfit, courtesy of Gigi. It is SO SO SO cute! He is going to be one stylish prep :-) Then we had a great dinner at Houlihan's and dessert at Cold Stone. Ethan entertained everyone by shrieking as AJ threw him in the air. We can't take them anywhere! Ethan gets deliriously happy when he is getting sleepy so we are usually very entertained.

I've decided I'd like to do a Blue's Clues party for Ethan. He gets a kick out of that when he sees it, so it's fitting. Only problem is, they don't sell the supplies in the party stores any more. Thank goodness for the internet! Unless I see something better, it's a go. I have lots of time but I'm getting excited! Ethan is already working on his list :-)

My mom came up last night while AJ had practice. Ethan was SO funny - he laid on our bed for about 45 minutes, just singing. He has the sweetest little voice (when he's not yelling DADADA at the top of his lungs...). He had mashed potatoes for dinner - he just kept opening his little mouth for more. I had to cut him off! She is also coming up tomorrow and we are spending Saturday with her while AJ is at practice. I am thinking that it's time for Ethan's first haircut, courtesy of Grandma. I really wanted to wait until he was a year, but his hair is EVERYWHERE! It hangs in his eyes and over his ears. He wakes up looking crazy! I think just a few snips will help. If he'll sit still.

Ethan is finally showing an interest in standing alone and pulling himself up. He can't do either yet, but he's trying. He especially loves standing close to the tv and touching it and standing at the tub watching it fill up with water. It won't be long now!

I didn't take any pictures this week, but below is a GREAT little video of Ethan (not as great as the one Grammy & Papa took on Saturday - if you haven't seen it yet, email me and I'll forward it - it's too cute to miss!). We got him waving bye-bye AND drinking from the shot glass. Mission accomplished!


2 comments:

PletcherFamily said...

Ah, a little AJ in the making. :)
I hope his teeth come in soon!

Jankowski Family Fun said...

A shot glass?! I love it!