Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gloomy Weekend

This rainy weather has derailed my objective of getting the yard in order and forced me to work inside. I've repainted our half-bath. Now it just needs to chair rail added (which AJ just took down...) and we'll be all set. I have to continue tackling our mess of a play room downstairs (I wish I could hire a professional organizer...), grade a ton of school work before our trip to Aunt Jenny's next week, and continue my 5K running on the treadmill, but this gloomy weather is making me just want to nap. Well, the weather and my children, but whatever. Well, mainly my oldest child, but whatever...

I suppose I'll be optimistic and start with the positive change in Ethan first. My man has turned the corner with pooping on the potty. He hit a few milestones this week - he got out of the tub and told us he had to go (while crying, but still), then the next day he told us he had to go and did so all by himself (twice) with no fuss. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I hope I'm not jinxing anything, but I really think the days of pooping in diapers and throwing fits about the potty are over. I'm sure there will still be some accidents, but he really has done so well lately - we are pumped!

Now, the bad news. He has re-entered the holy terror phase. He is always wild and ornery, but over the past few days, particularly today, he is downright RUDE. He started off badly today - waking up at 6 a.m. and being unable to control his loud mouth despite our warnings. It only got worse at swimming where he was kind of a monster for his teacher, and then when I was getting him changed to go home, he was an embarrassing nightmare. He is lucky there were other moms around because if not, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have spanked the daylights out of him right there in the Y's locker room. His demonic demeanor was made worse throughout the day because he didn't get a good nap due to his equally loud little brother's decision that nap time was not for him.

Days like today make me seriously question this whole parenting thing. But just to end the day (my optimism after today astounds me) on a positive, here are my boys being loving and cute:

1 comment:

faithmatters said...

You are optimistic, and I am in awe! Now about that organization thing... Dollar Tree, Ikea, and some Pinterest sound like a good remedy :)

Seriously, though, I am impressed with your ability to parent and manage a house. I can barely do it with a dog!