Sunday, April 1, 2012

AJ's Birthday Celebration

We have had a very busy weekend. Saturday morning, we drove across the bridge to Beaver for the Bunny Hop. It was freezing cold, but Ethan had a good time getting treats. Jackson had more fun eating pastries from a local bakery.
We came home and had AJ's little party with our parents. Ethan picked out this cake for AJ - it was tie-dyed. Lovely. It was that or one with Lightening McQueen, so we decided this would be better for Daddy.
We left at 2:00 for our glorious 20-kid-free-hours-to-celebrate-AJ's-birthday. Twenty hours were not enough. We had a wonderful time! We got to our hotel, the Omni William Penn, at 3:00. I was able to check in online before we got there, so I didn't even have to speak to anyone at the hotel when I got there. My keys were on a special board right by the desk, and up we went.
This photo is from their website - love this building!
The lobby of the hotel is just fantastic - I think it was built sometime close to 1920, and they just do not make buildings like that anymore. There were so many nooks and crannies in this building! And a Starbucks, but whatever.
We had a great dinner with friends at McCormick & Schmick's. It was good. Pricey for the portions, but we enjoyed it. Then we headed to Hofbrahaus, where we decided we are way too old and annoyed for that scene. It is a fun atmosphere, but I'd imagine it's a lot more fun if you are in your early 20's and interested in getting trashed. We are neither of those things; we just wanted to relax and talk to our friends, but it was too loud.
How AJ spent the first 3 hours of our retreat
Our room service. What a life.
I can't really capture how beautiful our room was. It was quite large, had a nice desk, walk-in closet, big bathroom, and its own little lobby. Oh - and robes! I loved lounging around in the Omni robe. So not ready to come home...
We headed back to the hotel around 10:30. When we got to the room, our bed had been turned down, the coffee bar had been assembled, the blinds had been drawn, and the tv had been set to the 'serenity' channel. It was a bit creepy, but I guess a nice gesture. We then met two of our dearest friends for drinks in the hotel bar. Much better scene. We chatted until 1:30 a.m. - I seriously haven't stayed out that late in YEARS. I am pretty tired today, despite the solid night's sleep in a very comfy king-sized bed.
Views from our 12th story window
1) What's left of the Igloo
2) PNC headquarters
3) PNC's fountain, I think
4) US Steel complex (now UPMC...)
So, all in all, it was a wonderful way to celebrate. I am glad to be home with the boys, but it was nice to have grown-up time in a nice place. The quiet was refreshing! I am hoping AJ remembers this idea when my birthday rolls around...Thanks to AJ's parents and my mom for watching the boys so we could get away. They even took them to meet the Easter Bunny, a trip I never look forward to (note the creepy bunny...)

No comments: