There were many points of time this week where both AJ and I felt that school could not get here soon enough! Ethan has been in rare form, which is becoming less and less rare. He has been SO hyper for hours at a time, a state that has not been induced by sugar. I don't know what's up with him. It's funny and cute. For about 10 minutes. Then, it is just loud and destructive.

Speaking of destructive, our little man has developed a mean streak towards our dog. We have to keep a close eye on him; if not, we see him running after Bailey, swatting and kicking. I don't think he's being malicious; he laughs the entire time. I think he mistakingly thinks he's playing with her. Poor dog. As annoying and hairy as she is, she is a really good dog for putting up with him. She never snaps, just merely sighs with annoyance.

Ethan's sense of humor is blossoming - quite the little jokester. If he says something that makes us laugh (i.e. "Here are my nipples" - by the way, the only reason he knows this word is because he asked. What else should I have said?), he will repeat it over and over again, laughing hysterically. He tells little fibs for laughs, too. We have really been working on his colors, and he is doing great. That doesn't stop him from telling us everything is red at first (with a mischievous smile on his face). It isn't until after the second or third time we ask him a color that he gives us the right one. Stinker.

He has also turned into a total Mama's boy. I don't know what sparked it, but it's been getting progressively worse over the past couple weeks. He gets so upset when I leave the room that he's taken to being my shadow in the house. He follows me while I vacuum, he stands on a chair to watch while I cook. If I have to leave (to go to school, a hair cut, etc.), he has a total meltdown. The bottom lip comes out, he pleads with me to stay. It's just awful. He even got upset the last time I took him to the baby sitter's. That never happens. I'm hoping he gets over that quickly once we go back to school full-time (very soon. boo.). In the meantime, I'm selfishly enjoying the cuddles and cuteness and trying not to be annoyed by my little shadow. I know I will miss him like crazy when we go back to school.
Speaking of that, our baby sitter had surgery last week and has to take some time off. She is ok, and we are glad. But, it has left us in a bind as we go back to school and need someone to watch our little monster. Luckily, we were able to round up a few willing students for our two in-service days this week. I am a little worried; this will be the first time we've left him with someone other than a grandparent, and to leave him the entire day with fairly stranger people is a bit much. I have faith in the girls who will be watching him - they are really sweet with him when they come for voice lessons, and Ethan runs to play with them every time. I just hope Ethan isn't too nightmarish or in an I-miss-my-mommy-who-has-been-with-me-all-summer mood.

We got to have a Last-Saturday-of-Freedom night out this weekend. My mom came up in the evening and AJ and I went to Hofbrahaus on the South Side. There were 7 of us that met up, and we had a blast. It was particularly great because one of the 7 was our old roommate and dearest friend, Nate. We haven't seen him in YEARS! It was wonderful catching up with him; it's amazing how you can not see someone for so long, but pick up right where you left off. That's a true friend!
We had a great visit with my mom. Ethan just adores her, and the feeling is mutual! She is an amazing grandma and always makes time, despite her busy work schedule, to be with Ethan (and us!). We even got in a little girl time today while Ethan napped - we saw Eat Pray Love. We both loved the book and thought the movie was enjoyable, but just okay.


It is hard to believe that this time next week, I will be getting ready for my first day of school with students. Here's to a great new year :-)


1 comment:
I can't believe it is almost time for school as well. our kids are getting crazy - that is how I know it is time for them to go back.
At least he says "nipples" and not "boobies" like Finley does!!
Post a Comment