Sunday, August 8, 2010

Family Weekend.

We have had another busy week. I finished my grad class (YAY!), which was very hectic. We've had numerous check-ups at numerous doctors. We've gotten the chance to spend time with some friends. It's been good. We are relishing in the freedom to do all of these things since SCHOOL starts in just 17 days. Craziness.

On Saturday, we went to the South Side for the kick-off luncheon for the VisionWalk we are participating in this October. My sister-in-law, Jennifer, is so pro-active and has really worked hard at doing everything she can for Finley since her diagnosis with LCA last year. Due to all of Jennifer's networking and fundraising efforts, the foundation sponsoring the event asked her to speak at the luncheon. We were all there for support (and to get to hang with our favorite nieces and nephew) as Jennifer faced the monumental task of speaking to a large group! In fact, my job was supposed to be to make Jen laugh if she got choked up. I was prepared to pick my nose and everything. Unfortunately, as soon as Jen started speaking (her speech was great, by the way), I knew I was in trouble. She got to a point and started to cry, at which point I lost it. I should have known - I bawl my eyes out at Disney movies. How did I ever think I could listen to one of my favorite people on the planet speak about her daughter, whom I love to death, and her possible impending blindness? It's just too much. But, it did motivate me to do all I can to help, so I will probably be hounding you very soon in the coming weeks to donate to our team when we walk in October. If you are feeling motivated right now (hint, hint...), you can visit our team page HERE. We are all very confident that as more and more research (which needs funding...hint, hint...) gets done on this rare disorder, there will be a cure for Finley!

While we were at the luncheon, my mom was watching Ethan, which he loved. They had a blast feeding the Penn State duckies and running around the yard. When we got home, we decided to play barber shop. My mom helped me highlight my hair. I used to do this professionally from time to time, but now that I have what is considered to be 'long' hair, it costs $95. I'm not that vain, and I'm not ready to chop my hair yet. Then, we got the idea to use AJ's clippers on Ethan. My mom has been trimming his hair frequently with scissors, but without the 'buzzing', his hair has been growing into a mushroom shape. Not very attractive. So, my mom held Ethan tight, I showed him Bert & Ernie skits on the iPod, and AJ buzzed the back and sides. He was totally fine, as long as he was distracted. He did finally realize what was happening and was fairly traumatized. He'll live.
He dipped a popsicle in MY ice cream...

As a treat for his bravery, we let him help me water my plants after his bath. What a treat! Seriously, though, he loved it.
Watering pine cones. Don't ask...
Cleaning veggies I picked.
He found a worm.
Watering something I actually wanted watered.
Sunday, we met AJ's parents and grandparents at the Pirate game. Though we requested seats out of the sun, the ticket person lied because we were baking until the 8th inning. Ethan hung in there, though. He hung out on Papa's lap for a bit, AJ's lap for a bit, hit the playground for a bit, etc.
He even participated in chanting, "Let's Go Bucs," even though they lost 8-4. He shook the hand of one of the pierogies, too. I think it was too hot for the parrot to hang out much - we only saw him for a split second. Despite the heat, it was a great day.

1 comment:

PletcherFamily said...

Awesome pictures! Great post. Thanks for all of the support yesterday. Even though we cried, I wouldn't have it any other way than having you there. Love you dearly!

Kiss the baby for me.