Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Baby Is Two...How Did That Happen???

Two years ago today, I worked my last day of school of that school year. I was ready-to-pop pregnant and having Braxton Hicks contractions all day long. I came home, changed clothes, and prepared to take a nap, all the while looking forward to the three blissful weeks ahead (the three weeks BEFORE my due date where I would spend my days resting and nesting...). Those peaceful moments lasted for about 35 minutes when my water broke. We rushed to West Penn during rush hour traffic on a Friday and Ethan was born, perfect and loud, 2.5 hours after my water broke.

Today, my baby turns two. How quickly those years have gone! Just the other night, I was thinking about how much Ethan has changed, especially recently, and it just broke my heart. I love seeing him change and grow; I do not love thinking about the fact that he has quickly become a little boy and not a baby. I love that he still needs me and wants me when he's sad. I love that he comes running up the steps everyday after school, exclaiming, "Mummy!!!" and runs into my arms with a giant smile on his face. I love it so much that a very big part of me wants him to stay this way forever. I hate to think of him when it becomes uncool to love your parents or when he can handle himself instead of running to me. Every parent wants her child to be independent, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Ethan is at a wonderful stage - he's constantly learning and exploring and testing limits. He is still fascinated by lights, fans, and water, and has recently added airplanes to the list. He has the cutest voice and loves to sing. ALL.THE.TIME. He is usually on the go, but every now and then, he sneaks in some sweetness, asking for a kiss or hug. He is in his fit-throwing stage, but as his vocabulary increases (hourly, it seems), he is able to tell us what's going on and stop the freak out. He's a total charmer and will be big trouble when he is a teenager.

Looking back on his earliest days, when reflux made resting and eating difficult for him - we have such fondness remembering bringing him into our bed in the early morning, as laying with one hand from each of us on him was the only way to get him to rest. How important we were! Fast forward two years - he still gets up early, only now the wake-ups are ushered in by singing. Sometimes it's Twinkle Twinkle, sometimes the Yo Gabba Gabba theme song, and lately, it's been Happy Birthday.

From the moment he was born, Ethan has had a STRONG personality. He's so expressive and has a silly, sometimes warped, sense of humor. He constantly points out the obvious (The fan is on. There's water down there. The puppy's silly. I made a mess.) and laughs hysterically at loud noises and goofy faces. Sometimes I long for a quiet, easy-going child. But, that is not my child. My child may be a handful at times, but he is an inquisitive, bright, loving little man. I wouldn't have him any other way!

Below is a slideshow of too many pictures - I'm sorry, but he is one cute kid and it was very hard editing the choices down this much - of our two years with Ethan. There are two cute songs with it, so make sure your speakers are on.

Happy Birthday, Big Guy :-)

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Ethan - 2
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create a picture slideshow

3 comments:

PletcherFamily said...

That slide show is too cute. I can't believe he is 2 either. Time goes by too fast.

Love to our Ethan boy. We love him very much and cannot wait to watch him grow (although like you I don't want my kids to get much bigger!).

And quiet children are overrated. ;)

Jankowski Family Fun said...

Love the slide show!

Grandma said...

That was just beautiful. You know Grandma is sitting here with big tears rolling.......Can't believe the lil guy is 2! Very precious!

Love,
Grandma