Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

After a rough start to the day, I am focusing on what is important. It doesn't matter that some plans fell through. It doesn't matter that it's freezing cold. It doesn't matter that Ethan was a grump getting his picture taken. And, it doesn't matter that my husband didn't get me a card or anything until 3 p.m. today (that mattered a lot before 3 p.m.).

Today is about being a mom, and I am a very lucky mom. I have an adorable, smart, ornery child that makes every day fun. I watch him grow, change, and learn each day, and because of all of his changes, I grow, too. My whole world changed (almost) two years ago when he kicked himself free. Now, instead of being job-centered, he takes the lead. I look at my job differently; I love that Ethan will grow up seeing both of his parents making a difference and being passionate about what they do. I also view my students differently because of him. Being a mom makes you much more compassionate and understanding as a teacher, especially when you have crazy students like I do. I come home, sometimes exhausted and frustrated, but hearing Ethan say/yell "Hi, Mummy!" changes everything. I am also lucky to have a job that gives me three whole months with the little man. Given that he's going through his terrible two's, three months will be plenty ;-)

AJ is now home, safe and sound, from NYC. He came in at 3 a.m. last night (thus the no card or gift until 3 p.m. - BUT - he has had 12 months to plan my special day, so no weekend trip should matter...). I have had a lot of help the past few days - AJ's parents stayed one night and watched Ethan on Friday. My mom came Friday night and left this morning. Ethan loves the company!

We got up and took Ethan to get his second year pictures. I see so many of my friends who get these amazing photos of their little ones - they are smiling, looking right at the camera, sitting still. I don't know what it is like to have a child like that. Ethan never stopped moving, with the exception of throwing himself on the ground during a fit. Those photographers deserve every penny they make! Despite his fits, we did manage to get a few cute shots.

We came back here to have a nice (indoor) cookout with AJ's parents and grandparents. We had hoped to sit outside on our new patio furniture, but Mother Nature vetoed that. The men took naps while the women prepared. Seriously. Mother's Day, anyone??? And, we ate our feast indoors while watching the Pirates lose. At least there was good company :-)

AJ went to the mall today at 2 p.m. to shop for me. He did pretty well. I'm not ungrateful. I just think he's still half-asleep from his trip. I opened my cards first. First, there was a really sweet, semi-apologetic card that mentioned how appreciative he is of me. Then, I opened my card from Ethan. As I was reading it, it seemed familiar. I opened it, and it says "Happy Birthday, Mom." Uh...wrong day. The kicker is - it is the SAME card "Ethan" got for me for my last birthday. AJ must have really liked that card to get it twice...

I got a sweet mother/son statue from Ethan and *new* diamond earrings. A while back, I lost one of my earrings and was devastated. I think they were an anniversary gift for our fifth anniversary and I never took them out. I don't know how or where I lost it, but I have been so bummed. AJ was able to trade in my one earring for a credit towards my new pair - pretty nice! I am very lucky he would let me get new diamonds after losing one. This pair has really strong backs, so I should have no problems.

To all the moms in my life - I hope you have a wonderful day. I hope you and those in your life don't wait for one special day to make you feel appreciated.


1 comment:

PletcherFamily said...

Happy Mother's Day! The pictures are great! He is getting too big!!