I did it!
Fast forward four months, and I felt ready to take it on again. Training this time around went much more smoothly; I knew I could handle the distance, so I could focus on speed and strength stuff. It definitely paid off - I felt much stronger as a runner and just in general. I wasn't even nervous this time!
Just after I finished. Sweaty and tired!
We made the four hour drive on Saturday morning while it drizzled the entire time. We got to Hershey just before 3:00, and we headed to the park area. AJ's parents took the boys into the park while AJ and I went to pick up my packet. The expo wasn't very exciting, so we were able to join the rest of our crew at the park entrance, which was PACKED! I couldn't get over the amount of people that were just everywhere. Part of the marathon registration deal was each participant got two free tickets to Hershey After Dark, so maybe that is why. The boys didn't care, though.
Bros in the park
This ride was actually pretty scary!
Not that Ethan or Jackson seemed to notice...
We got to ride a good bit - they had a ton of rides for kids, so even Jack got to do a lot. Both boys love riding, so they were in heaven. It was kind of chilly and sprinkling off and on…Until 7:00, when the skies opened and it just poured and poured. We were drenched! I didn't mind, though, because we had a very early start to Sunday.
They held hands through this ride. So cute.
He's lucky he's so beautiful.
Him, too.
Jackson was petrified of this candy bar.
We made Grammy ride some 'spinny' rides.
The boys slept in the room with AJ's parents so that I could get up by 5:45 and not disturb anyone. It worked out pretty well, though the boys still were up by 6:00 over there. Too excited about being with Grammy and Papa, I guess! AJ dropped me off at the stadium for the start. It was pitch black and 40 degrees. I was regretting my decision to run this race, big time. But, luckily the building where the expo was held was open for late packet pick ups, so I got to stand in there in the warmth until it was time to start at 7:30.
Below are some pics from the race, so they say "PROOF" across them.
Mile 1.5. I was off to a good start!
The halfway point. Still smiling!
The race proceeds went to Children't Miracle Network, which was another big selling point for me. When I worked for The Children's Institute in my pre-teaching days, I learned all about CMN and their amazing work for kids, so I was excited for the cause. They had a designated 'miracle child' at the start - he counted down for the start and cheered over the loud speakers for the runners. It was really sweet. There were a ton of costumed characters from the park - a Kiss, Rolo, KitKat, etc. It was pretty comical, but it made it a fun atmosphere.
This was going up a steep, mile-long hill at mile 6-7.
I was smiling because the ladies in front of me were
acting ridiculous for the photographer.
The run itself went very well. I had no idea that it would be so very hilly, though. The marathon committee put out a video of the course, but you really couldn't tell how intense the hills were on it. Seriously - every time I turned a corner, there was another hill. There were four pretty steep, long grades, and I was not happy. I must have yelled "Seriously???" about 100 times during the 13.1 miles. But I ran well and strong. I was cruising right along with no issues, and before I knew it I was halfway done and on track to really beat my Pittsburgh time.
AJ took this as I was crossing the finish line.
This is from the course photographer.
Looking like I just ran 13.1 miles uphill...
I was happy to see the town of Hershey - I've never been there before. There was a TON of crowd support, too, which was great. We ran through the Milton Hershey School campus, and all of the kids were out cheering. They had drawn messages in sidewalk chalk for their teachers who were running, so it was neat to see that. Near the end of the race, they had the 'miracle mile' where volunteers were all parents and children who have been in the CMN system of hospitals. There were balloons everywhere, loud music, and CHOCOLATE (in addition to the yucky Gatorade). It took everything in me not to cry when I saw all of those kids - definitely a moment I won't forget.
The boys ran around the field waiting for their slow mama.
Half of my cheering section
The run finished up in Hershey Stadium, where AJ, the boys, and his parents were waiting for me. With signs that were decorated by the boys. Seriously - I thought about seeing them through the entire race, and it was awesome when I finally got there. Ethan was cheering so loudly. Jack was, well…looking all over the place, probably trying to figure out where Papa was. But that's ok. AJ was right at the finish line, but I didn't see him until after I crossed. I couldn't wait to see the medal, which I had hoped would be a Hershey Kiss. Sadly, it is a Twizzlers, but it is still pretty cute. I'll keep it!
The boys worked hard decorating my signs.
Look at my little lefty.
While this race didn't feel as monumental as my Pittsburgh race, I still felt so unbelievably proud to have finished. Not only did I finish, but according to my Garmin (which clocked the race at 13.24 miles instead of 13.1), I took just under 11 minutes off of my Pittsburgh time. I'm still not fast by any means, but I can't believe I did that well for me! I definitely had a goal time in mind, and I beat it by a few seconds :-)
I was so excited to hug them!
I gave everyone some sweaty hugs, posed for some pictures, and took a quick shower at the hotel before we headed to Chocolate World. It was (surprise) also very busy, but fun. We let the boys run around and rode the silly little ride (which featured singing cows that Jack thought were HILARIOUS). Ethan and I designed our own candy bars - he really liked seeing the process and designing his own candy label. We got to wear aprons and hair nets, so it was an experience, for sure. The best part of this place was a purchase AJ made - four gigantic, sinfully good cookies that we are enjoying, slowly but surely at home. Magic.
Yes, I sported my medal the whole day. I earned it!
E loved working the assembly line.
Dancing and shaking up their containers. Hilarious.
Making his special candy bar
I'm not sure I'll run another half marathon any time soon. I'd like to do the Nike Women's Half in D.C. this spring, simply because the medal is a Tiffany necklace. They use a lottery system, so I suppose if I get in, I'll be training again for April. If not, I'm going to give my legs a rest and just do smaller distances. My knee held up really well this past race, but my legs are on fire from those hills. I'm going to enjoy this rest time, that's for sure.** Side note - I originally wrote this on Sunday evening. As I edited it today, Tuesday, I've already decided that if I do not get into the Nike Women's Half this spring, I will be doing the Cleveland Half in May. Those running endorphins are strong. They keep that bug alive, for sure.



















No comments:
Post a Comment