Monday, June 10, 2013

Our Little Graduate

I'm a bit behind on posting things, but am trying to get caught up now that summer has officially begun. Can I get an amen?!?!
Traditional Birthday Feast at Smiley's House
On May 30, Ethan's 5th birthday, he also graduated from pre-school. What a huge day for our big guy. I was an emotional mess for about 48 hours. I was working on his slideshow for the blog, choosing pictures and songs, and I just couldn't stop crying. He thought I was nuts - I tucked him in, and said "This is your last night as a four-year-old!" and LOST it.
His Lego pile from us!
He's also in an Angry Birds Phase. 
Flicks them all over the house...
How is Ethan FIVE? I remember every single detail about being pregnant with him and every single detail about his birth. He arrived in a hurry; in fact, any faster and we would have been on the news because AJ would have had to deliver him on the parkway. He hummed for hours that first day and was so alert. He has not stopped making noise OR being nosy since, so I should have known he'd be trouble. He was talking like a grown up by the time he was two. He has a maniacal laugh and has always been ornery. Some things never change. His freckles and his dainty features get him out of loads of trouble. Look out, ladies!
More Legos for me to step on...
Grandma got him some crazy HotWheels thing
that we have to put on his wall. Thanks, Mom...
Five just seems so big. He'll start kindergarten this year. He'll ride a bus, learn new things, make new friends, and give up naps during the day. He is so big next to Jack, but still wants nothing more than to play with his little brother. He's wicked smart, confirmed by his kindergarten placement tests. He remembers absolutely everything, so don't ever try to put one over on him. He'll call you out in a heartbeat. While he is loud and rambunctious most of the time, there is also a sweet side. He's always concerned about people and is shy around big groups at first. He'll warm up and make sure to include every kid around him. He loves to sit in his room for hours, quietly building towers and garages and vehicles with his Legos. He loves nothing more than sitting with a book in his lap, devouring stories. He's my kid, alright.
This was his picture on the backdrop:
Mom tried occupying Demon Spawn #2,
but we eventually took him to the playroom.
So, on his birthday, I sat in the church where he's attended pre-school for two years and SOBBED as he walked by, his typical ornery face under a white mortar board, while Pomp & Circumstance played. I wasn't alone, though. All of the moms and grandma's (my mom, especially) AND the teachers were crying.
Look at that face!
 Ahh…they are so cute!
The kids just looked so cute up on stage. They've all changed so much in a year or two. They all had a line to say as they took us through their program; Ethan had to say "We learned that each one of us is different." He did a GREAT job - no fear at all, loud and clearly enunciated. That, he gets from his father. They sang a bunch of songs, including YMCA. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen - he danced his little behind off and smiled the whole time. Again, a showman like his dad. I would have been mortified.
Saying his big line:
 It WAS a long ceremony...
We've been so lucky. He has really thrived at his school, and his teachers have been amazing. You can tell that they love the kids, and the kids all really love them, too. I feel like he is really prepared for kindergarten, hands down.
Getting his diploma from Miss Debbie:
 The graduates:
 We just love Miss Debbie!
Now that some time has passed, I've stopped crying. I'm excited to see what this year has in store for our oldest baby. There will be more tears, I'm sure, and many more pictures. He's an amazing big brother and keeps our house full of noise and motion. It just wouldn't be the same without him. So, here's to another great year. We can't wait to see what interests you, what you learn, and how you grow. Love you so much, Ethan Phillip.
Proud Family!
 Proud Grandma!

No comments: