Saturday, September 3, 2011

An Appolonia-Type Weekend

This first weekend of the school year, we channeled AJ's grandparents as much as we could. They are known, in addition to their absolute adorable-ness, for their organization and cooking skills! Though we could never live up to them in either category, we tried.

We spent Saturday shopping for the week. We headed to the farmer's market for produce, where it was regrettably nine billion degrees and humid. It was a fast trip.
My mom came over during E's nap for some Jack time. Ethan still isn't great about sharing his grandparents. When E got up, he went to Grandma's house for a sleepover. She always asks to have him over and he always wants to go. They do silly things; they go mini-golfing, go to yard sales, wash her car, etc. Saturday night, they played in her driveway and popped 70 water balloons. I would NEVER do that - I'm not nearly that fun or patient! But, I grew up living very close to my grandma and seeing her all the time. I'm glad the boys will have that experience, as well. And, I know my mom loves the company. I just hope the boys realize how lucky they are to have all of their grandparents around to play with.
My little Charlie Browns...
While Ethan was getting soaked at Grandma's, AJ and I ran some errands. The mall was having crazy deals - most stores had 40% off of everything. I got a giant bag of clothes for both boys for next summer and paid hardly anything. I love shopping trips like that. But, I also had to make room for all of my new finds. I got to work in Ethan's room. We had bought him a closet organizer a few weeks ago and never got around to putting it up. I used my 3-year-old-free night and did it. I sorted all of the clothes in his dresser and closet, made piles to keep for Jack and piles to donate. I repeated the same process in Jack's closet on Sunday and in mine today. It was strangely fun.
Pretending he was in a parade at GiGi's
Sunday, we spent the afternoon at GiGi and Pap's. We like to visit with them from time to time when no other family members are there. No offense, but you guys are LOUD ;-). We like having a more low-key visit and getting to really talk to them. And eat. And eat. And eat...We took my mom this time. In all of the years AJ and I have been together (12, to be exact), she has never been there to experience GiGi's rav's. Now she can cross that off of her bucket list.
GiGi entertained both of my monsters
Ethan had a blast. He loves exploring their basement and attic. They have lots of cool stuff and he really didn't want to come home. With a cook like that, I can't say I blame him! Jack pretty much napped 90% of the time. He really enjoyed GiGi & Pap's bed, which allowed the rest of us to enjoy our meal together. We even got to chat with AJ's parents while they are relaxing on their cruise. Technology!
Ethan pretending to nap at GiGi's
We really enjoyed having an extra day off. We spent today basically getting ready for the week. I did some ironing, cleaning, and cooking. Sounds fun, right? In addition to cooking some stuff for the week, my mom brought me the world's largest zucchini (well, not really, but it was ridiculously big) so I am in the process of making a ton of zucchini bread to freeze.
Ethan referred to this as a "big pickle"
After just two days in a daycare setting last week, Ethan has his first cold. He seems to be feeling fine, but has a lot of drainage. Poor guy is coughing and blowing his nose non-stop. Not that it's slowing him down at all.

While it wasn't the most restful weekend in the world, it was still fun. I'm going to keep it in my head as my alarm goes off at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

No comments: