Friday, June 24, 2011

First Week, Down!

It's hard to believe that little Jackson is now a week old. So much anticipation for the birth, and now it feels like he's been here all along. He is, so far, a wonderful baby. Very laid back and quiet compared to his older brother, who was a total spaz from day one :-)
The first two nights at home were a bit tough - Jack wanted to hang out all night long. He never cried - just looked around for hours. We made sure we were more diligent about keeping him up during the day (those after-milk coma's are rough!) and it's seemed to do the trick. Since Tuesday, he has pretty much slept through the night, only waking to be fed every three hours or so. It's been wonderful! He's done so well that we are going to try to move him out of the bassinet and into his room tonight - we were originally worried that if he was really fussy, he'd wake Ethan, but it seems that he's going to do ok.
Daddy and his boys
We took Jackson for his first doctor's appointment on Thursday. He is such a little peanut! He is at 6 lbs, 10 oz, which is up 3 oz from when we left the hospital. We were glad to see he's gaining. He's in the 25% for height and 20% for weight, but his head is in the 45%. Typical Kovall trait. He did really well for the doctor - no tears! The first thing our doctor said was about how remarkable the resemblance is between Ethan and Jackson. They really could be clones. Jack is a bit darker complected, but their features are identical. Ethan was a bit heftier, though :-) Anyway, the doctor wants us back next week to check Jack's weight. We are hoping to bulk him back up to his birth weight. It should be easy - little piggy is always searching for a bottle. He looks like a little bird - his mouth gets wide open and he moves his head all around to search while shoving both fists in his mouth. As if we never feed him...
After his first bath
Ethan has been doing great with him. He's very concerned about what "Baby Jack" is doing. He'll ask to come inside and check on him really quickly before going back out to play. He loves 'helping' us to burp Jack. He has even put down his Thomas trains on Jack's blanket so he can see them. He will not, however, let Jack use his beloved "ball b(lankets)" from Aunt Jenny. He tells us that Baby Jack has his own b's...
Playtime on the floor
Only sibling shot I've gotten!
Milk coma...
He's had a few firsts this week (other than the doctor's appointment). He went to the park with his big brother, had his first bath at home, went shopping (with me for some post-pregnancy clothes), went to his first restaurant (Quaker Steak & Lube), and went to his first family breakfast at Smiley's House. He's a busy boy!
Ethan LOVES this playground!
Getting some fresh air
We have tried very hard to have special Ethan time this week. It's helped that we have had near constant grandparent company all week. He's had a blast. You can tell that he still wants our attention, though. He'll come up to AJ and I at random and lean in for a hug - that's pretty unlike him. If we rough house or tickle him, he is particularly delighted, more so than before. It's sweet. He is very lucky that Jack is able to sleep through noise - Ethan can barrel around singing at the top of his lungs and Jack just keeps snoozing.
Ethan asked me to take his picture.
This is the face I got...
As for me, I am feeling much better. In fact, I've felt almost too good this week. I keep forgetting I've had major surgery and end up doing too much, which only makes me hurt later. I'm down 13.5 pounds from the birth and am only 10 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I can't exercise yet, so it's nice to see pounds coming up fairly easily. I'm still swollen, but it's getting better every day. I am loving being home with my boys and am happy to say that I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I did the right thing tying my tubes. Our family is complete and perfect as is!
Trying out the bouncer. Not a fan yet.
Helping to feed Jack.
My goal for the weekend is a photo shoot for Jack's announcements. I'd love to get a great pic of the brothers together, but that may be asking too much. Wish me luck!

No comments: