We have now officially hit the 2 week mark. We are getting more and more into a routine, which is great. Jack is still sleeping well at night, just waking to eat. He is still a great baby - a wonderful eater and so very sweet and tiny. And, he lost his cord stump this morning - I am so glad. Those things are GROSS! His first step to independence...
It's tough being a newborn...

We have had some worries that he is developing reflux or something, though, just like his brother. It doesn't seem anywhere as extreme as the discomfort Ethan used to have after eating, but there still seems to be some discomfort after eating. He seems to have trouble passing gas and going #2. We bought him a new chair at the suggestion of our friend and nurse, Christy. So far, it seems to be helping. I love that it's so lightweight and rocks. He seems to like being elevated, so it's a keeper.

We brought it up with the doctor today at his 2 week checkup. I couldn't wait to see how much he weighed this week. We have pretty much upped his formula to 3 oz from 2, which seems to have helped the little robin get full. Our goal was to have him back up to his birthweight of 6 lbs 15 oz, and he did it! He is now at 7 lbs 3 oz! We are so glad! Anyway, she told us to just keep an eye out for reflux-like symptoms. She said what we described was more digestive/gas sounding, which is common in little ones. We are going to give him gas drops after his bottle and see if that helps the little man out. The doctor was really impressed by how well he is doing with a schedule and how strong and alert he is. All good things. She also mentioned what I have been noticing for the last two days - Jack's hair has a strawberry blond tint, just like mine when I was a baby. We'll see if the reddish hue lasts!
Ethan has been a typical 3-year-old this week. I don't know how much of his behavior is due to a new sibling and how much is just him being ornery. I don't think he's getting in trouble any more now than he did before, but I still feel bad. I don't want him to be resentful, but sometimes he is just obnoxious and B.A.D. He'll hit the dog, point his finger in my face, drop his toys repeatedly and laugh at the top of his lungs, etc. And, the reaction when we tell him "no" to something has been amplified to full-blown dramatic screaming/kicking/crying/hitting fits. The Terrible Three's...
He would only pose if he could stick out his tongue.

But, he is still our little prince. After a meltdown when I am ready to rip out my hair (or his!), he'll sob and say he's mad at me, then ask me if I will hug him. And, like that, I leave all of our hair alone and take a breather. We have been trying to plan fun things to keep him busy. He had a sleepover at Grammy & Papa's last night and got to go to Cranberry's pool this afternoon. AJ has been spending a lot of time with him outside in our little pool. We are hoping to take him to his first movie this weekend - Cars 2. Not sure how he'll do, but he is currently in a Lightning McQueen obsession at the moment. He is a riot! He runs around saying "Shoot" like Mater and "Kachow" like McQueen. I am so sick of the first movie. He asks for it the second he wakes up!
Enjoying outdoor time with Daddy
On a closing note, Happy Birthday wishes go out to two of my favorite people, Ethan's godparents - my brother, Ryan, and AJ's sister, Jennifer, both turn 36 this weekend. Pretty cool that they are a day apart. We get to see them both this week, too :-)
My Boys!

Happy 4th, everyone!

2 comments:
We have the same chair for Ella and she LOVES it!! She's pretty nosy, so I think that she appreciates being able to see what's going on around her! Here's hoping it helps Jack's gas problems!!
Thanks for the birthday wishes - although you are disowned for mentioning my age. LOL. just kidding.
Don't let Jack get any bigger until I see him!!
Post a Comment