Saturday, October 3, 2009

Well, Hello Lord Stanley :-)

We had the most amazing night - seriously! AJ's parents gave us tickets to go to Mellon Arena and get our picture taken with the Stanley Cup. We were pretty excited, mainly AJ. We thought it would be such a cool thing for Ethan to have one day, so we made the trek.

They gave 2 hour windows, divided by last name, of when you should come as a way to keep the lines down. Letter K fell from 6-8 tonight. Ethan took a long nap today (from 3-5), so we thought it would be perfect. We expected to wait about 2 hours or so and thought he could do it.

We got there, and this nice man said, "There's a four hour wait. The line starts back on the sidewalk." Seriously? We were ready to turn around. Ethan's bedtime is at 7, 8 tops! We called a bunch of people to see if they could take my ticket and I'd take Ethan home. No luck. I should have taken a picture of the line - it seriously wrapped the whole way around the arena. Thank goodness we actually had nice weather today!

I knew how much of a big deal this was for AJ so I really wanted to stick it out as long as possible and try to get in there. I am so glad no one could come! Ethan was AMAZING! He played the whole time and really enjoyed running all through the arena. It did take 4 hours - we got in line at 6:10 and left at 10:05! He got a little clingy with me for the last hour, but the people around us were very impressed with him. He kept saying 'hi' to everyone and giggling.

Ethan got really excited once we made it to the ice. He loved walking around out there. The game was on and every time the Pens scored, the line would go crazy. Ethan would clap and laugh - very cute! He also LOVED the cup - he grabbed right on to the rim and banged his hands all over it. He also enjoyed seeing his reflection in it. It was cool to see him standing beside it and realizing how small he still is. I felt a little weird touching it, so I just tapped it lightly. AJ caressed it like it was his long-lost girlfriend...

The pics are adorable and I don't think AJ was that giddy on our wedding day :-)

We were able to get our friends in, too - a guy in front of us had 2 extra tickets and our friends were right at the Benedum so they swung over and joined us. We even saw a family that brought their dog with them for the picture. i was shocked they were allowed, but it looked really cute in a Crosby jersey :-)

Right now, it is 10:55 and Ethan is fast asleep. We are hoping this very late night will mean a very late wake time for him. Right now he's exhausted, but he'll be glad we kept him up some day!

Enjoy our pics :-)

2 comments:

PletcherFamily said...

That is really AWESOME! I am glad Ethan did so well - what a fun experience! Your post cracked me up. I would have loved to touch it, but I would have done the same - just touched it lightly. :)

I LOVE his penguin jersey - it is really cute! And the pictures on the ice were great!

Anonymous said...

You must have the patience of Job to have waited SO long. I may have done it when I was your age, but probably not today.

What a SORE finger!!!! I am experienced with hurt fingers, Bryan had 3 plus a cut ligamint to his thumb, one finger was fractured. There is a fingertip bandage that you can buy, but it would probably be too big for E's little finger. Nanny