It's August. Back to school month. The time has come for me to frantically decide where to send Ethan for his second (and presumably LAST) round of pre-school before Kindergarten. This past year, he went to a Presbyterian Church's pre-school about 10 minutes from our house (in the opposite direction of work). I sent him two days a week. He did well. There are a few reasons I am looking elsewhere for round two: 1) the distance - I had to get up and leave for work 25 minutes early to make it time on days I took E to school 2) the church - we found out (later in the year) that it is a SUPER orthodox church, and quite frankly, it freaks us out 3) the progress report - there were a few things on his 'report card' that made us think they a) don't know Ethan at all and b) don't do a good enough job keeping parents informed on issues.
So, here we are. I have spent the entire summer looking at pre-schools. I thought I had the problem solved - there's a highly recommended pre-school at one of our local Catholic churches that had openings. The problem? I had to find someone to watch Ethan before pre school and transport him to school. I did find someone - a grandma with a boy who would be in Ethan's class - but, then her grandson got moved into the morning class where there are no more spots.
I went to look at another Catholic pre-school and Fell.In.Love. I met the principal, saw the wonderful classroom, and came away feeling that Ethan would truly be nurtured and ready for Kindergarten. The problem? Childcare. I have no one to watch Ethan in the mornings.
I went to a third pre-school, owned and operated by a local elementary school teacher. Pros? Very close to work. Cameras in all rooms parents can watch online. Has a daycare problem also and is very affordable. Cons? In a VERY old, run-down building. Potential riff-raff locals. I don't think I can see Ethan there.
I went to a forth pre-school that is really close to our house. I really liked it, too. The 4-year-old room was really big, clean, and fun. The staff was really friendly and the kids seemed to love them. But, they don't do a 'part time' fee - you pay (a hefty) weekly fee, regardless of how many days you go. I love Ethan and I want the best for him, so I will not deplete his college fund on that place.
My last hope is a daycare in Ellwood City, right by AJ's school and our babysitter's house. They have openings, it is highly recommended, looks great, etc. Our hope is that after our vacation, we can talk with our baby sitter and see if she can (or knows a neighbor who can) take Ethan to school there three days a week. Fingers crossed!
Thursday, August 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment