So, the weekend started out just fine. We were all in good spirits because we have a shortened school week coming up and knew we were getting company on Saturday. We'll start there. On Saturday afternoon, AJ's parents brought GiGi up to see Ethan. She hasn't seen him since September so we were excited. We had a great visit - we went to dinner at Atria's (yum) and watched WVU lose (yay! - sorry all of you Mountaineers. Well, not really...) Ethan was a bit fussy before bed, just thrashing around and coughing a bit. He ended up getting up a few times during the night. Sunday morning, AJ got up with him at 6:30 (after I handled the night wakings) and he just wasn't really himself. We got ready and did some errands - AJ needed a hair cut and I needed to get a few more Christmas gifts done. We got Ethan bundled up (seriously, it was so cold here!) and he had a nice rest in the car and at Primanti's while we ate lunch. We brought him home and he woke up crying and when we went to change him, he had a big rash on his leg. We thought it was a bug bite of some sort and kept watching it, but it went down. He fussed through his afternoon bottle but did finish once I fed him with a spoon (big boy!). AJ was tired from being up with him all day so I bundled him up again and took him for even more Christmas shopping. He had a really nice hour and a half nap (AJ did, too!). When we unbundled him, he had hives all under his neck and rashes on his arms and legs. We got a little freaked, so I called my sister-in-law, Jen, who is a nurse! After listening to our story, she chuckled and said "Welcome to the family. Ethan is allergic to penicillin. Just like my girls and Mat." Lovely. I called the doctor, so no more antibiotics for Ethan - it stinks because he is still not better. Poor guy has a bad cough that he just doesn't know what to do with. We are giving him benedryl every 6 hours (Jen - he went to sleep right on schedule, so thank goodness that is one thing he does not have in common with the girls!) and calling the doctor in the morning about what's up. I don't know if we'll try a different antibiotic or what. This first cold is a doozy!
2 comments:
Poor baby. I feel bad he is still sick. My girls always take something else, so they can give him a multitude of choices if he still needs antibiotics! I think Omnicef is their drug of choice, but don't quote me. Believe it or not - it has been awhile! I am glad he slept with the benadryl! That will come in handy in the future!
I hope Ethan's feeling better! Marcail gets hives all over from amoxicillin and benadryl is awesome! Hopefully they found an antibiotic that works for Ethan!
Post a Comment